Gastric Bypass Surgery Malpractice
Louisville, KY, Medical Malpractice LawyerGastric bypass surgery may be one of the greatest surgical advancements in the last fifty years. Gastric bypass surgeries have helped thousands of overweight Americans lose significant amounts of body weight, and improve their overall health. However, like all surgical procedures, gastric bypass surgery has many risks, and many patients suffer post-operative complications. Such risks and complications may include:
- Dumping syndrome: When a patient suffers from dumping syndrome, the stomach’s contents move too quickly, or are “dumped,” through the small intestine. Dumping syndrome’s symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, and fainting;
- Malnutrition: A significant percentage of patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery suffer postoperative malnutrition, due to decreased absorption of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Many patients take supplements after undergoing gastric bypass surgery, but may suffer malnutrition nonetheless;
- Surgical complications: Patients who have undergone gastric bypass are at increased risk for developing abdominal hernias, infections, and staple line breakdown. Additionally, some patients may develop bloating, hiccups, nausea, and vomiting, because the bypassed stomach can increase in size after surgery;
- Osteoporosis, due to vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, not being absorbed;
- Stomal stenosis: During gastric bypass surgery, the connection between the stomach and the intestines is narrowed. However, there are times when that connection is too narrow, which can cause nausea and vomiting after eating;
- Stomach contents leaking into the abdominal cavity;
- Blood clots in the lung, also known as pulmonary emboli;
- Incisional infections;
- Drastic glucose (blood sugar) level swings; and
- Continued abdominal pain or diarrhea.
Many patients must undergo subsequent operations to correct or repair complications from their initial gastric bypass surgery. Additionally, approximately 1%–2% of patients who undergo weight loss surgery die from the procedure or its resulting complications.